What is it?
This project demonstrates how to use CDI 1.0, JPA 2.0 and Bean Validation 1.0. It includes a persistence unit and some sample persistence code to introduce you to database access in enterprise Java.
This quickstart does not contain a user interface layer. The purpose of this project is to show you how to test bean validation with Arquillian. If you want to see an example of how to test bean validation with a user interface, look at the kitchensink example.
Note: This quickstart uses the H2 database included with JBoss EAP 6. It is a lightweight, relational example datasource that is used for examples only. It is not robust or scalable and should NOT be used in a production environment!
The application this project produces is designed to be run on Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform 6.1 or later.
All you need to build this project is Java 6.0 (Java SDK 1.6) or later, Maven 3.0 or later.
If you have not yet done so, you must Configure Maven before testing the quickstarts.
Start the JBoss Server
- Open a command line and navigate to the root of the JBoss server directory.
The following shows the command line to start the server:
For Linux: JBOSS_HOME/bin/standalone.sh For Windows: JBOSS_HOME\bin\standalone.bat
Run the Arquillian Tests
This quickstart provides Arquillian tests. By default, these tests are configured to be skipped as Arquillian tests require the use of a container.
NOTE: The following commands assume you have configured your Maven user settings. If you have not, you must include Maven setting arguments on the command line. See Run the Arquillian Tests for complete instructions and additional options.
- Make sure you have started the JBoss Server as described above.
- Open a command line and navigate to the root directory of this quickstart.
Type the following command to run the test goal with the following profile activated:
mvn clean test -Parq-jbossas-remote
Investigate the Console Output
When you run the tests, JUnit will present you test report summary:
Tests run: 5, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0
If you are interested in more details, look in the
You can also check the server console output to verify that the Arquillian tests deployed to and ran in the application server. Search for lines similar to the following ones in the server output log:
[timestamp] INFO [org.jboss.as.server.deployment] (MSC service thread 1-2) Starting deployment of "test.war" ... [timestamp] INFO [org.jboss.as.server] (management-handler-threads - 1) JBAS018559: Deployed "test.war" ... [timestamp] INFO [org.jboss.as.server.deployment] (MSC service thread 1-3) Stopped deployment test.war in 48ms ... [timestamp] INFO [org.jboss.as.server] (management-handler-threads - 1) JBAS018558: Undeployed "test.war
Test the Quickstart in JBoss Developer Studio or Eclipse
You can also start the server and deploy the quickstarts from Eclipse using JBoss tools. For more information, see Use JBoss Developer Studio or Eclipse to Run the Quickstarts
Debug the Application
If you want to debug the source code or look at the Javadocs of any library in the project, run either of the following commands to pull them into your local repository. The IDE should then detect them.
mvn dependency:sources mvn dependency:resolve -Dclassifier=javadoc
Find this guide useful?
FeedbackFind a bug in the guide? Something missing? You can fix it by [forking the repository](http://github.com/jboss-jdf/jboss-as-quickstart), making the correction and [sending a pull request](http://help.github.com/send-pull-requests). If you're just plain stuck, feel free to ask a question in the [user discussion forum](http://jboss.org/jdf/forums/jdf-users).
- Nov 08, 2013: Bz1028448: add spaces to end of metadata so it renders with a line break in html Sande Gilda
- Oct 10, 2013: Bz1017848: add warning to readme files about h2 database to be used for examples only Sande Gilda
- Oct 07, 2013: Merge from master to 6.2.x for er5 Sande Gilda
- Sep 24, 2013: Remove references to web profile Sande Gilda
- Sep 24, 2013: Remove references to jboss as 7 from the quickstarts Sande Gilda
- Sep 23, 2013: Update metadata source urls to new repository Sande Gilda
- Jun 12, 2013: Modify readme file internal links to use generated anchors. remove hard-coded anchors. fixed obsolete links and other markdown rendering problems Sande Gilda
- Feb 12, 2013: Add quickstart source repository of record to the readme files Sande Gilda
- Sep 11, 2012: Add target product (https://issues.jboss.org/browse/jdf-108) Sande Gilda
- May 18, 2012: Move metadata to quickstarts Pete Muir
- Apr 11, 2012: Remove odd trailing slashes Pete Muir
- Apr 10, 2012: Solve issue #194 :-) auto transform links from readme.md -> readme.html Pete Muir
- Apr 05, 2012: Missed adding the arquillian instructions, fixed indentations, modified jta-crash-rec and jts-distributed-crash-rec, add missing authors Sande Gilda
- Apr 01, 2012: More readme cleanup Sande Gilda
- Mar 26, 2012: Attempt to standardize readme.md files Sande Gilda